Reflective Summary

Upon the completion of my MEDA302 project and the final assignment of my degree i’m very overwhelmed but also a feeling of great sense of accomplishment. Some of my previous university assignments were ones i wasn’t 100% proud of, i always felt i could of worked harder, or picked on aspects of the work i needed to change or fix. But after completing this work, i’m genuinely proud and over the moon with my finished project. It was a long journey to this point, many mistakes and fails, lots of research and a ridiculous amount of watching tutorials on Lynda. But without all the mishaps and hardships along the way i don’t think my project would of turned out the way that it did.

The beginning of my project started with the concept of ‘futures’. From there i decided to base my project on ocean pollution and the effect of rubbish has on our marine life. After lots of research on organisations such as Surf Rider and artists who use ocean pollution to create installations and sculptures i decided i wanted to create a screen installation. From there i discovered this music video created for Coldplay’s song ‘Up and Up’. I was inspired by its creative, surreal, unique and imaginative use of imagery as well as its ability to ask questions about real world issues. Finally i decided to incorporate the ideals of the video and create conflicting metaphorical and symbolic images that comment on ocean pollution and impact this rubbish has in the future. Using the techniques of chroma keying and green screen i wanted to create challenging and conflicting images which aim to question the audience. Through​ ​the​ ​use​ ​of​ ​footage​ ​and​ ​photographs​ ​captured​ ​by​ ​myself​ ​as​ ​well​ ​as​ ​stock​ ​footage​ ​and images,​ ​i​ ​created​ ​these​ ​visuals​ ​using​ ​Adobe​ ​After​ ​Effects​ ​and​ ​Premiere​ ​Pro.​ ​My​ ​landscape​ ​and marine​ ​life​ ​imagery​ ​is​ ​manipulated​ ​through​ ​perspective,​ ​reality​ ​and​ ​scale​ ​in​ ​order​ ​to​ ​emphasise the​ ​impact​ ​this​ ​pollution​ ​has​ ​on​ ​our​ ​ocean​ ​in​ ​a​ ​relatable​ ​and​ ​creative​ ​way.

I had many issues and failures along the way, there many compositions i started and never finished. It was difficult to find to pieces of footage that worked together, angles of the camera and lighting were hard to replicate. But i’ve felt my skills have grown in editing and after effects throughout this project, i’ve explored and developed new techniques and skills in the software. If was to do the project again i would take more time in the beginning to plan each image and i would of shot more of the footage myself. They’re were two compositions in particular i struggled with, the end result was ok but i still wasn’t satisfied with final image. Based off the feedback i got from Jo and Matt they agreed those particular compositions didn’t work as well as the other ones. They believed those compositions took away from the successful ones. I completely agree with this view, and i am planning on taking out these images once i exhibit at the Grad Show.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s